“For last year’s words belong to last year’s language and next year’s words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning.”
T. S. Eliot
As the dawn breaks over 2011 tomorrow morning, I think it is only fitting to share with you some of the things I hope to accomplish during the 365 days that will encompass the New Year.
It feels like 2010 zipped past and I really didn’t have a plan in place to try and accomplish something. This year, I am going to take a different approach. I am not one for resolutions, so these are merely “navigational beacons” to keep me focused for the next 365 days. We will check back at year end and see how things worked out!
1. Read More – I have loads of books. I sometimes get into a groove and plough through a bunch and then there are times when they seem to collect dust. This year I hope to make some headway on the books that I have in the “To Be Read” pile. I used to be better at this when I was riding the GO Train every day. Now I will have to put a little more focus on choosing a book over other options. First up will be finishing, “Street Gang” by Michael Davis.
2. See More Movies – I am a bit of a movie buff. This year I didn’t see a lot of the movies that I wanted to at the theatre. That has to change. I have always enjoyed seeing movies on the “big screen” and now that I have experienced 3D (thanks to @Strombo at #TRONTopolous in December), there are certainly some movies that need to be seen at the theatre.
3. Play Board Games – I have a collection of board games from my youth. I haven’t played them in years and that is a shame. They are tonnes of fun and a great way to interact with others. I hope to organize a couple of small parties at my house for friends to come, have a few drinks and play Monopoly or some of the others in my collection.
4. Host friends at my house more often – This goes hand in hand with my last goal. I have a great place and I spend most of my time “out” with my friends. Whether it is playing board games, a dinner party or just “hanging out”, I hope that I will be able to welcome friends into my house that I like to call, “The Fortress of Solitude”, more often this year.
5. Clean Up Clutter – Like everyone, my house has become crowed with “stuff” that I haven’t touched in years. This is the year that I am going to pare down some of this stuff and “lighten the load” of what’s around me. After years of collecting this stuff, it’s time to show some (or a lot) of it, the door!
6. Learn to cook Mexican food – I have been to areas where Mexican and South-Western food has been a staple, in my travels. I want to try making some of the items I tried there so that hopefully they can become a mainstay on my “menu”. Things like Fry Bread, Tortilla Soup, Huevos Rancheros, El Pastor and Carne Asada are all on the list of things to figure out.
7. Be more committed to the gym – I joined a gym for a number of reasons. I have had stretches in 2010 where I was very good at going. There have also been times (like, the summer) where I haven’t seen the inside of the gym for months. I am determined to find the “balance” that I will need to fit socializing, working and the gym into each 7 day stretch.
8. Use my Slow Cooker more – I have always liked using my slow cooker and I have a few recipes that I like making with it. I am hoping to make 1 meal a week using my slow cooker this year. This will hopefully increase the number of meals that I will be able to eat “at home”. Sounds like an ambitious idea, but I am sure that I can do it! I am going to use this website (thanks to @SteffieEhm for the link) for some inspiration. I also have a handful of slow cooker cookbooks to try out too!
That’s it. That’s what I am going to try and do with 2011. All of them are small things and all very easy to accomplish. I look forward to sharing my progress with you during 2011. I also look forward to sharing my thoughts with you on a variety of other topics as well.
I hope 2011 brings good health, happiness and good things to all of you and your friends and families.
Happy New Year!!